Saturday 31 May 2014

Hesse-Darmstadt 1st Battalion Gross-und- Erbprinz Regiment


A few days ago I announced plans to commence work on the Talavera campaign and have started to build General Laval's "German Division".

2nd [German] Infantry Division GdD Jean-Francois, Baron Leval,

Brigade
OB Heinrich, Freiherr von Porbeck,
Baden Infantry Regiment Gross-Herzog Nr. 4: OB Heinrich, Freiherr von Porbeck,
 2 battalions
Nassau Infantry Regiment Nr. 2: OB August von Kruse,
2 battalions
Baden Foot Battery: 2 – 7pdr howitzers
MAJ Franz-Friedrich-Christian von Steinmetz

Brigade
GM David-Hendrik Chasse,
Composite Dutch Infantry Regiment: OB Baron de Grave,
2 battalions
Dutch Horse Artillery Battery Nr. 3: 6 guns
HPT Hendrik-Rudolph Trip

Brigade
GdB Balthazard 
Grandjean,
Hessen-Darmstadt Infantry Regiment Gross- und Erbprinz Nr. 4: GM Georg-Johann Schaffer von Bernstein,
2 battalions
Confederation of the Rhine Battalion Nr. 3 (Frankfurt) OBL von Welsch,
Hessen-Darmstadt Foot Batterie: 4 – 6pdrs
LT Ludwig Venator 



So the first unit completed is the 1st battalion Hessen-Darmstadt Infantry Regiment Gross- und Erbprinz Nr. Four originally commanded by General Major Georg-Johann Schaffer von Bernstein, but he later resigned the command to Oberst Freiherr von Ledebur.

The brigade of two battalions was formed in August 1808 and, during its time in Spain, was referred to as the Regiment de Hesse by the French.



Both battalions were reorganised along French lines with four fusilier companies, a voltigeur and grenadier company.


As well as being at Talavera in 1809, the regiment was also present at Medellin, Ocana and the defence of Badajoz in 1812.


My battalion is composed principally of figures from Warmodelling. I particularly like the neck cloths attached to the Shakos on these sculpts. They really capture the campaign look of these guys that you see in contemporary pictures of the troops in the Peninsula. The horse for the Colonel is a replacement AB mount, you can't beat an AB horse, and with a little bit of filing the Warmoddeling Colonel fitted perfectly. The Colour is from Maverick Models and thanks to Stuart for getting this one and others of the German Division off to me within a few days of ordering.

 
I hope the pictures do the battalion justice as my usual camera is in for repairs at the moment and my terrain is all set up for tomorrows Oporto game hence the unit is pictured on my table.


A particular reference I found useful was

In addition there are the Osprey titles, 

Napoleon's German Division in Spain by Digby Smith is also a very informative source. A review of the book can be found here.

Next up the Second Battle of Oporto game two.



6 comments:

  1. Glad to see you using Maverick flags, I have used them for all of my 7YW flags and Stuart is really helpful, if he doesn't have the flag you want he will make it up for you specially and always checks pre-posting if you want to resize them to match your flag pole . My last order ranged from 10mm to 18mm across 11 flags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, Yes I was very impressed with Stuart's service and the flags look great. I was very pleased to see that he had to variants for the Frankfurt battalion of which there are no clear illustrations or records of precisely what it looked like. Thanks to Stuart I have two options to choose from, so watch this space for when the Frankfurters get done!

      Delete
  2. JJ, you are prolific! I am thoroughly envious of the speed with which your beautifully painted projects emerge! Interesting to see how many of these colonels/brigadiers are senior Allied commanders at Waterloo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rupert, thanks mate. I have to be prolific, because my eyesight won't last forever so I want to get some of these big games played before I can't do it. Hopefully I can keep going to to Toulouse at least!

      Delete
  3. Great work on these troops, unusual contingents are always interesting...love the bases too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil, thank you. I agree, I have had the bulk of the German Division sat in my "to do" box for the last 18 months whilst working through Vimeiro and Oporto so I have been really looking forward to starting these. Needless to say I have had to do a bit of a refresher on how the units looked. All good fun.

      Delete