Sunday 26 April 2015

Grand Duchy of Warsaw - 2nd Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment


This week has been taken up with a lot of work finishing off the Talavera table so the figure painting schedule had to be adapted slightly to account for the time. With that work done it's back to the Poles.


The second battalion of the 4th Grand Duchy of Warsaw Infantry Regiment completes the Polish infantry component at Talavera.


For more information on the history of the Grand Duchy's involvement in the Peninsular War, see my previous post on the 1/4th.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/grand-duchy-of-warsaw-1st-battalion-4th.html



As previously the battalion is composed of figures from the Warmodelling range of figures with an AB French officer with sword drawn at the front and my Colour is from Adolfo Ramos' range of flags, a link to which is in the side bar.


Strictly speaking, these chaps should see no action in the forthcoming games as they were held in reserve by Sebastiani throughout the 28th July, so I'm probably going to have to come up with a suitable penalty if the French players decide to make use of them.


I hope you like the cameo close up, that heads up the post. I am quite keen to let the figures do all the work, so I have been messing about with a banner like header using the figures. Let me know what you think.

The Grand Duchy of Warsaw, 4th Infantry Regiment drawn up for battle on the Talavera table

Next up, we are into the "donkey wallopers" with the Vistula Legion Lancers, followed by Westphalian Chevau Legere and then probably the best cavalry on the table, Fane's British heavy dragoons. However I have another trip to Paris lined up this week and I am keen to get the "Night Attack" scenario finished off with the third and final test game. So I might be mixing things up a bit.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Chasseur, thank you. These haven't been the easiest figures to paint, but I'm pleased with the final look.
    Cheers
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb job. I really like what you did with the image at the start of the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam, I thought I might make it a regular way of heading up a unit post

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, the blue, yellow and red is a classic combination.

      Delete
  4. Great work on the Poles. I do like the close up shot as a Header.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. The cameo shot has grown on me and I think it adds to a post on individual units.

      Delete
  5. Very nice indeed! I am expecting four battalions of Poles quite soon, hopefully my 28mm's will be as pretty as your 15's!!! I'd like some Polish lancers too plus a Vistula Legion battalion.
    Great and prolific work as usual JJ, can't wait for the full game, the night attacks had the drama but limiting visual appeal so fair play for showing them, - instructive if not pretty to look at! You'll know what I mean!
    Vert best wishes, JeremyJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy.
      Yes the Night Attack scenario is by its nature not a visual spectacle, as the full on day stuff, but I really like the little tactical games as it really produces some really interesting little scraps that can swing the whole fight one way or the other. The idea will be to link them into a mini campaign with the effects carried into the big game.

      Delete
  6. Lovely stuff as usual. Similar to Jeremy above, I received six battalions of 28mm Duchy of Warsaw from Roger at Murawski Miniatures the week before last and am keen to get stuck into those in the coming few months, so found your post both timely and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lawrence, timing as they say is everything and I'm pleased you like my Polish chaps. They were tricky to paint but I was quite pleased with them in the end.
      Cheers and thank you
      JJ

      Delete
  7. Lovely job. Those look wonderful.You do a good job on the photos too, which isn't as easy as it looks.

    I have always loved the poles. I have enjoyed playing with other people's figures e.g. at the Wargames Holiday Center.

    Happily I now have six battalions of my own Dutchy poles to paint up. I decided to paint them as the 4th, 7th and 9th (two battalions each) since these saw the most action and some saw action in Spain and back home. Now days I carefully check ORBATs to ensure I don't end up painting a unit that never left the depot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah a fellow Wargames Holiday Centre player. Thank you and I agree the Poles make fine looking troops in their eye catching colours. I'm glad you like the pictures as I want to do more close up stuff when we do the battles and I thought the cameo shot makes a nice header for the unit posts. I find the photography gets better and easier the more you do.

      Delete
  8. Very pretty mate & some nice variations in the unit too. It all works well in drawing the eye to individuals.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vince, thanks mate. As Nathan would say "they look pretty but can they fight" and in this case their stats would suggest they can!
      Have a good Legionary and see you at club
      Cheers
      JJ

      Delete