Monday 25 April 2016

Legionary Preparation - All Set and Ready to Go


This weekend has been taken up with the preparation for the Legionary show next weekend in Exeter.

I am quite keen to make the Napoleonic collection portable to be able to run some demo games away from the wargames room and so this will be a bit of a dry run to see what is possible.


The battle box has become a tried and trusted method of transporting the WWII collection too and from club so I thought I would see how the Napoleonics fitted in.

As you can see I can get The Pajar scenario forces plus game materials in the one tin, thus with just a box of scenery and the game mat, it makes it very portable.


Normally I wouldn't be taking a small screen with me but, as this is a demo game showing not just the collection but also C&G II, the screen helps show the system in action while we play


The weekend was capped off, as it would seem for many others if the comments on the various forums are concerned, with the receipt of my PDF copy of Sharp Practice II as part of my order that I placed pre launch, and I am now busy concocting plans for a suitable collection of figures to play them.

All set and ready to go

11 comments:

  1. Ah the advantage of 18mm, bit easier to transport than 28mm :)
    Look forward to the AAR.
    We will be playing the afternoon attack at Talavera again this November in 28mm with more Spanish involvement this time.

    Good luck
    Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tony, yes not only does 18mm allow for more troops on the table but they are a darn site easier to move around.

      I am really looking forward to the game as the last few months have been focussed on producing units, so it will be nice to get the toys out.

      I look forward to your game report in November. From our last run through of this scenario using C&G, it seems you can never be sure which Spanish units have turned up, with some running before the first shot and others turning in battle winning last stands - just as it should be.

      JJ

      Delete
  2. Very organised JJ. Hope to see them all out of the box on Saturday.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Vince, I can't wait to get going.
      See you Saturday.

      Delete
  3. I'm very much looking forward to the AAR of the "real" one. Good luck JJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, if we get a result half as good as the last play of this scenario we can consider ourselves well and truly spoilt!

      Delete
  4. Red tool boxes! So glad to see this I have twelve and counting. Seems everyone else has various groovy plastic stacking boxes for Napoleonics at Marauder HQ. We JJ's get these things right, hope the show goes well, JeremyJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy,
      Yes I've noticed how plastic cases have replaced metal boxes. I am gradually moving the WWII collection into box files lined with steel paper, so I can just grab a box containing an infantry company, tank company etc plus supports already packed together. The intention is then to put the Napoleonics and the 28mm into the display cabinets. I can then use my collection of tool cases for transporting figures too shows or club.

      Well that's the plan. I have two of those big red boxes and they are very handy.

      Delete
  5. Every time I visit your site JJ I wonder if I erred in putting all my Napoleonic apples in the 28mm basket you know. Your AB Miniature collection is wonderful. Too late for me to change now though so I will simply have to keep on enjoying your images. BTW is your son still working near Perth in Western Australia at present?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carlo, you've spotted part of the cunning plan that lies behind the writing of this blog, and you would not be the first 28mm collector to appreciate the advantages and delights of 18mm for Napoleonics. That said for other eras, ancients for example, I have decided to move into 28mm, where I think the ranges on offer are superior to the smaller scales and the sizes of the battles will work and look good on my nine foot table, not to mention the benefits to my eyesight when painting them.

      Tom is now in Thailand, via Adelaide, Tasmainia and other parts of the Antipodes. We are meeting up with him and his girlfriend in the summer when we travel out to Vietnam. They are then planning to head back to Perth later in the year to work for another six months before heading home. I am toying with the idea if taking some Roman's out for him to paint, to make up for all this time away!

      Delete
    2. If he is up for a game amongst a decent (well half-decent) bunch of lads whilst back in Perth let me know mate.

      Delete